NOW is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States. Our purpose is to take action to bring women into full participation in society – sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination.
- NOW offers volunteer, unpaid internship opportunities, both full and part time, throughout the year
- College credit can be arranged
- A minimum of 3 days per week is required. Full time interns are preferred
- Prospective interns should be hard working, enthusiastic and flexible individuals who possess or seek a working knowledge of women’s issues and feminist organizing. Interns should also be committed to continuing to struggle for equality and justice once they leave the internship program and return to their campuses and communities
- Interns will work with one of the following teams:
- Communications Team: Research, draft and edit articles for NOW’s online and print publications; assist with media relations, web updates, graphic design and other communications projects.
- Web / Online Communications: Duties may include building or updating web pages, creating email blasts using Salsa (our email blast and online advocacy platform), editing and uploading videos to YouTube, helping with the transition as we redesign our website. Required Skills: HTML (hand-coding & valid), CSS, Notepad++; Useful skills: jQuery, HTML5, WordPress, previous experience coding HTML emails, SalsaLabs, social media knowledge, working knowledge of Photoshop (image resizing, cropping, laying out graphics, optimizing), previous video editing experience. Please provide a link to your online portfolio if applicable.
- Conference/Events Team: Each year, NOW holds a national conference, and several board meetings. An intern working with this team would learn valuable event planning skills and how to juggle multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Field Organizing Team: Get involved in the nuts and bolts of grassroots organizing for NOW’s broad range of priority issues. Work on rallies, campaigns, chapter development, and materials development.
- Government Relations/Public Policy Team: Characterized by lobbying, legislative research and writing, and political campaign work.
- Membership/Fundraising Team: Learn highly marketable skills for the non-profit world by providing customer service to donors, assisting with data management and communicating with chapter leaders and activists.
- Political Action Committee: Assist with NOW/PAC organizing, including meeting with candidates, processing endorsement requests, and managing Federal Election Commission materials.
- President’s Assistant: This intern will work directly with NOW’s president and her assistant, staffing the president at events, as well as outreach meetings with heads of allied organizations. This intern will also be involved with the president’s correspondence and research talking points for speeches.
Projects and assignments in these areas vary based on the changing political and social climate in Washington, D.C. and the nation.
Interested interns must send the following:
- A completed application form
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- A writing sample (1-3 pages)
If you have further questions please contact our internship coordinator:
Address: National Organization for Women
1100 H Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
- Deadline for Spring Internship: November 11
- Deadline for Summer Internship: March 15
- Deadline for Fall Internship: June 30
NOW-NJ is a highly hands-on organization dedicated to providing real life experience to their interns and will work with individual professors and departments to tailor the internship to ensure the best integration with the students needs and requirements.
Contact: National Organization for Women of New Jersey (NOW-NJ)
110 West State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608